Afghanistan Holidays 2009
Afghanistan holidays are still dependent upon the moon's cycles. This means that no one really knows until the night before or early morning of a major holiday.
Here is our best guess of when the 2010 holidays will occur:
- Nao Roz - Afghan New Year - Tuesday, March 23, 2010
- Samonak Women's Party - within the first 15 days of the New Year
- \\\\Mawleed al-Nabi- The 12th day of Rabi al-Awal celebrates the Prophet’s birthday. Usually around March 23.
- Jeshen – Afghanistan’s Independence Day - August 19th
- Eid-e-Ramazan (al-Fitr)
- Eid al-fitr - after a month of Ramazan, Afghans celebrate for three days. They wear new clothes, feast, give gifts, and visit with family and friends. Make sure to celebrate with your Afghan friends on the 2nd and 3rd days of this celebration, but NOT on the first day. Make sure to bring a gift, too.
- Arafa (Day before Eid-e-Qorban)
- Eid-e-Qorban (al-Adha)
- Eid al-adha- The tenth day of the twelth month of the Higra calendar commemorates the Prophet Abraham’s devotion to God.
- Ashura- The tenth day of the month Muharram is a day of mourning commemorating the martyrdom of Prophet Muhammad’s grandson Hussain at the battle of Kerbala.
What your mom wants you to know about Afghanistan...download your FREE guide here!
More Information and Travel in Afghanistan
Return from Afghanistan Holidays to Afghanistan Culture